HandiCURC – 7pm, first Tuesday of the month
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is it? – It’s a monthly timed 4.7km race against yourself. All runners start according to their expected finish time so slower runners set off first and faster runners last and then excitingly all runners cross the finish line within seconds of each other.
- Everyone is welcome to join in and the race is such that anyone can win the trophy if they improve their speed incrementally over the year gaining the highest number of points.
- Why 4.7km? – Simply put, if we did 5km there would be a hill in the route somewhere.
- How do I get involved? – Registration is in the North Star pub from 6:30pm. If you can’t get to the pub for 6:30pm you can send somewhere else to register on your behalf, just so long as you are at the race start for your allocated time.
- Where is the race start and will I get lost? – The HandiCURC starts at the corner of Hook Road and
- Hunters Road. The route is marked with marshals so you cant get lost, but if you are worried check out the course map on this page.
- How is my race start time worked out? – For your first event we take your predicted 5km time and take it off 45 minutes. Because it’s a guesstimate, first timers usually do well so there is a cap on maximum points that can be achieved on your first event. Subsequent start times are based on your last run time.
- How are points allocated? – 5pt for crossing the line, 10pt down to 1 pt for first 10 finishers (max 5pts for your first ever HandiCURC), 10pt for a PB (not in your 1st year), 7pt for your seasons best and then 5, 3, 1pts for 10, 20, 30 seconds from your season best respectively.
- I can’t make one month can I still join in? – Yes! The more you attend the more points you will get, and you can still make up for lost months by performing very well on the night.
- Can my son/daughter join in? – As this is run on roads, only family members over the age of 18 years can join in. However, we do welcome over 11-year-olds at our track sessions.
- Do you need any help? – Yes if you are not planning to run we need at least 8 volunteers on the night and would welcome you with open arms.